Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Home from the Hospital


Last Friday Claire went to bed with what looked like a tiny zit right next to her nose. Saturday morning she stumbled downstairs with the right side of her face completely swollen...she could barely open her eye and the "tiny" blemish next to her nose was huge and rock hard. J.J. said I should take her to the E.R.--I thought maybe we should give it some time and see what happened in an hour or two. He went online, found a nearby hospital and insisted that we go. I imagined that we would be in the emergency room for hours (as that is what usually happens), but we weren't...in under 30 minutes Claire had been seen by a doctor and admitted. I am so glad we went...she had a staph infection...they put her on two types of antibiotics...Sunday morning she woke up worse than ever (her right-side profile was almost unrecognizable) so they put her on a stronger antibiotic. On Monday, she was much, much better. On Tuesday (today) she was released to go home. She looks and feels great. Hopefully, I didn't put too many details in this story...I don't usually read anything that has the word "infection" in it...plus all of these words associated with Claire are still almost too much for me to handle. I only cried once...it was on Sunday the first time I left the hospital so J.J. could stay with her for awhile (I didn't want the other kids to stay because hospitals are so notoriously germy)...the cry only lasted for five seconds because I blasted my eyes with the air conditioner in the van (I couldn't believe how well it worked). All of my old germophobic tendencies have come back with a vengeance...I really wish I could have those clear plastic furniture covers that they have on t.v. shows from the '50s..since I can't, I am trying not to overdo the bleach. Well, that is all I will say about this. P.S. The picture is of Claire with a warm compress...I took a million of the puffy face pictures each day so I could compare them and see if she was improving but I won't post those because, even though I thought she looked cute, I don't think she would appreciate it. P.P.S. I should mention that she was a trooper and very fun to hang out with...she loved having total control of the remote and getting to order all of her meals. She was also so sweet to me and kept asking if my bed was comfortable, if I wanted to watch something else and if I was warm enough (the room temp. was set to 65).

8 comments:

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

So that part about Claire asking you if your bed was comfortable totally made me cry... she really is the sweetest... I am so glad that she is home from the hospital!

Timani said...

Poor girl! I know how scared Elly was at thinking she'd have to be admitted and feel sorry for Claire.

I think you should post pictures. LOL!

You and I have different girls!!!! When I read that Sean's wife cried and that Clair really is the sweetest. Yep, different girls! (Trevor's my "sweet" one).

And that germy thing...I'M SO OCD ABOUT HOSPITALS!!!!! I hate that Dan is always there, he has to wear different shoes that aren't allowed at home. When I'm a patient, I actually get out of bed and clean the counters, sinks, mirrors, toilet, shower and ask them to redo the floors! I want my kids to visit their new sibling, but I can't handle it for too long because I don't want them to touch anything and be engulfed by the faster than normal germ demons.

I swear my husband is in the wrong profession...I hate knowing SOME of what he deals with! Believe me, he totally knows he needs to sensor, so I don't really know all of it.

Haley said...

timani,

I know...I wouldn't let Claire touch ANYTHING while we were there...they had a box of gloves in the room and we used them and disposed of them for practically everything...I think making Dan take off his shoes is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

That is the saddest picture. She is so cute. I love that you got to hang out just the two of you and enjoy her cuteness even if it was in the hospital.

Joan said...

I am soooo grateful for modern medicine!! I'm glad that Claire had some alone time with you at the hospitol. She has always loved that. Glad she is back home wjith the family now. Give her a big kiss for me. (An air one)

Joan said...

oops!!! Hospital is spelled wrong and we all know there is no j in with!!

Timani said...

I'm totally laughing. Right after I posted my comment, I noticed I spelled Claire wrong ONLY the 2nd time. Too bad we can't edit our own comments. Later when I read your mom's, I thought, "whew, she spelled hospital wrong. Maybe the Clair vs Claire would be overlooked." Wrong, I got to the next comment and she corrected herself. Too funny!

Unknown said...

Haley I am so glad Timani had your blog listed so I could find you! It's been forever since I have seen you. I am so sorry Claire had to go through this. Staph seems to be more prevalent now. My two oldest have had it. Jon had a sore on the back of his thigh but my Kelsey had it inside her hip. She was hospitalized for a week and then on iv meds for 2 months. I hope she makes a quick recovery!