Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Atlantic Ocean...


is AWESOME! We went to Point Pleasant, NJ last weekend and loved it.

I snapped this picture the first time Thomas had been thoroughly thrashed by a wave--he jumped up laughing.

Claire was fearless. She was in the water as far out as she could go for almost the whole day...this was the only picture I got of her face because she was constantly running back into the waves...she has been like this since she was two the first time we went to the beach (with Aunts Melissa and Carrie and cousin Daniel) and she just wanted to run straight in all day long. She totally kept up with J.J.

Benjamin split his time between running down and diving in the water and building sand castles and having me bury him in the sand.


These pictures are in reverse order...the first one shows Olivia when she finally started having fun and enjoying the sand and water...the second one shows how she was for the first hour--she would not move off of her towel and just sat there using a wipe to clean the sand off of her (she hated the sand at first)...she was also terrified by the roar of the waves. She is very good at soothing herself though and kept nervously whispering to me, "dis is fun, dis is fun".

And finally, my feet (you were probably hoping for a shot of me in swimwear. Sorry...maybe next time ;-)). Can you tell how happy they are? I had way too much fun being slammed into the sand by the waves...I was laughing so hard that I lost all of my strength (hopefully that's normal) and could barely stand up before the next wave would come in...at one point a 12-ish year old boy asked my if I was alright (I wasn't quite sure what he meant--I thought we were all just being tossed around by the waves--I must have looked particularly foolish). Claire offered to help me but when I (accidentally) slammed into her and smashed her into the sand (which is a very rough sand by the way) she said she was never helping me again :-). Just writing about it makes me want to go back--I loved falling asleep that night because everytime I closed my eyes it felt like I was floating and spinning on the waves again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much fun! Isn't the atlantic ocean fairly cold? I would imagine it's like NorCal's oceans. Cold and dark but with fairly nice sand. So anyway...it looks like you had a great time and it's those moments that matter most.

Joan said...

What a wonderful day. Also, the descriptions of your experience were hilarius! ( I know that is spelled wrong but I just can't figure out how to spell it). I laughed out loud. Sorry, I can't say LOL.

Joan said...

What a wonderful day. Your descriptions of your experience made me lauagh so hard. Nice feet.

Haley said...

Amber...the water was surprisingly great...70 degrees (I think...is that warm?)...it was definitely not shockingly cold and easy to jump into (and I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to the temperature of my water :-)).

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

That beach looks gorgeous... We need to plan a vacation to visit you guys next summer. Olivia is hilarious... I would like to teach Cole to want to be clean but apparently that is not a trait he was born with:)

Megan said...

Oh that makes me miss the beach SOOOO much! I need to take my kids. I grew up 45 min from the beach in California! Boy I wish I could spend more time there now. Your pictures and story brought up found memories. I'm glad you guys are having fun on the other side of the US!

Timani said...

I totally laughed at Olivia, that's how I would like to be. I like going to the Ocean, but really the sand is so annoying. I don't like getting dirty.

It sounds like you had a fabulous time. I never thought New Jersey would be so fun or pretty.

Glad to finally see that Claire is ALL BETTER!

Shaundra said...

So funny! Have you ever seen Monk? It reminds me of Olivia...WIPE, WIPE! LOL :)