Well, we started the kids out on an allowance schedule that is loosely related to chores. They LOVE it. They absolutely love having money. Especially Thomas...he spends a good portion of each day counting his money, making money deals with Benjamin, planning ways to earn more money (begging for small jobs that pay well), and pondering what he should buy and how much he should save. Yesterday he brokered a deal with Claire and Benjamin that they would all pool their money so that they could buy better Christmas presents for everyone (JJ, Olivia and I). They were so excited they had to go up to the boys' room and brainstorm what they should buy. After about 15 minutes the boys came back down and announced they had had to break away from Claire because she didn't want to buy what they wanted to buy me for Christmas...they proudly announced that they had wanted to buy me a diamond and amethyst ring that they had seen at Target but Claire thought it was too much money so they had broken off from her and were going to buy it for me anyway. They said it was okay that they told me because I would probably forget before Christmas. Then they ran back upstairs to plan what they should buy for JJ. While they were up there Thomas decided to calculate how much money they would have by Christmas...the figure pleasantly surprised him so he decided to extend the calculation to January, February, March, and April...at this point he got so excited that he and Benjamin ran downstairs to ask me if it was okay if they buy me some chocolate instead of the ring because if they didn't spend so much on me they would have enough money in March to buy a Nintendo (I think it was a Nintendo). I said sure and they assured me that it would be really good chocolate. They ran into the dining room and extended their calculations through the summer...at this point they realized they would be able to buy a Wii or a computer or new bikes. They excitedly came to me and told me how much they had and what they could buy and asked if it was okay if they bought me a small bag of licorice. I said sure and they excitedly ran out. At this point Claire intervened and asked the boys how they would like it if I kept offering them smaller and smaller gifts...they felt bad and upgraded me back to chocolate. They ran back upstairs and did some more calculating. Once more they came to me, as I slaved away on their behalf in the kitchen, and announced that they had decided not to get me anything at all this year but that for sure next year I would get a really, really nice gift. I told them that was fine and they ran back upstairs to count their money (which is fake...they have to trade it in to me when I go to the bank and get them real money). At least they started out with good intentions...then again isn't that what the road to hell is paved with? (I just wanted to use the "h" word...;-)).
7 comments:
Hilarious! I miss those kids... Thanks for making my night with this story.
Oh....the tears running down my cheeks! So very cute. At least they are very honest about their priorities. Remember that year we bought eachother books for Christmas then admitted we each read the book before we gave it. LOL.
Sounds like the kids had a fun day! If I were closer to you, I would bring you my favorite Dove chocolates. :) I hate licorice, so I am would be hoping for the upgrade! So funny!!!!
Seriously that is sooo funny. You are such a good sport. I love that Claire got you upgraded...always so thoughtful.
Such darlings.
I hope this means you get a LOT done around the house now, building a great work ethic into your kids while getting the laundry done!
I think that is hilarious! Maybe in THEIR stocking you should place a bag of licorice and some chocolate with your name on it.
I think it's so funny that you were demoted, upgraded and then all together cut-off. I'm glad they are anxious to work, hope it lasts without another bribe (upgrade allowance, or chocolate/licorice).
Just curious, did JJ teach your boys to shop? A ring, nah, chocolate would be good enough.
Post a Comment