Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Mega memory month
I have been reading the blog of Ann Kroeker for quite some time now (a few months)...I don't remember how I originally found her blog but I love it. She's always inspiring. Well, this month she is hosting something she calls "Mega Memory Month". The point, as she explains it, is to fill the reservoirs of our mind with beautiful things that we can recall when we need to be inspired, entertained, etc. and also to expand our brains capacity--she explains it very well here if you want to read about it. To participate in mega memory month you choose something to memorize during the month of October. It is supposed to be somewhat challenging. Then you somehow record what you have memorized and link back to her. Memorizing has always been one of my few talents so I thought it would be super easy and I'd memorize something really long and cool. Then, Dana reminded me that I am severely challenged when it comes to memorizing anything musical...it makes no sense because even if I have seen the song (I can usually memorize anything visually) my whole life (like in a hymnbook) I still can't get the words right. It's as if the music or the emotions confuse me. Claire and Dana always make fun of me because I am constantly belting out wildly wrong words to the most basic songs. Anyway, I really want to have some songs in my mental repertoire--all the better to torture my kids with when I walk around singing :-). So I am going to memorize the words for the most recent four songs I downloaded from i-tunes. They are "I Can Only Imagine" by mercyme, "As Long as You're Mine" from Wicked, "Country Roads" by John Denver (Love that guy! Also whenever I hear that song I can hear my Dad and uncles), and "One Friend" by Dan Seals (I'm sorry...I like really sappy songs). At the end of the month, to report back that I've done it, I'll record myself singing the songs and post it on this blog. Hahaha. Kidding. I don't know how I'll test myself...maybe I'll sing them for JJ and the kids at FHE--they would love that. Kidding again. I'll just write the words out and test myself somehow. That is my goal for the rest of this month. P.S. My goal for last week was to use every bit of lettuce from a bag of six heads of romaine lettuce that I bought at BJ's (Costco equivalent) and, sweet victory, I did it. I like to aim high. For real though, I am so happy--whenever I buy lettuce in bulk at least some of it ends up going bad--the kids have been super great about eating their salad with every dinner this past week and even for lunch a couple times. P.P.S. Is the type of video I have at the top of this post legal? If it isn't I'll take it off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You crack me up! Seriously! I laughed when I read you would record yourself singing and blog it. I would love that! I laughed again when making your family suffer during FHE (that is the point isn't it).
Writing it out IS NOT good enough, go for the video. Or maybe you should call Dana and sing to her.
I can't memorize songs well either. I mess up the words. Ellexis can hear a song and sing the words without music...don't get it! My brain does NOT work that way.
I know you can do it! I looooove this song!
I can't remember the last time I heard someone mention John Denver! I used to love his music. "Take me hoooome, country roooooad, to the plaaaace, I belooooong..."
Hopefully the music will finally click in by the end of October, and you'll have all those songs down pat to serenade family and friends.
Great idea--welcome to MMM! It's delightful to have you among the participants.
You are CRAZY! But it sounds like fun. I would think if I did this, I would pick scripture references. I can always remember verses, but never where they are found. I really hate that. I should know that!!!
I like the MMM idea and will let you know what I will memorize
I never knew you had a flaw in your superb memory skills... I am looking forward to having you sing to me.
Aimee,
I know it is hard to believe.
:-)
Post a Comment