Friday, February 6, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mum!

Everything I need to know I learned from my Mom
ON HOUSEKEEPING:

C.A.Y.G.: This stands for Clean-As-You-Go. I don't know if my brothers and sisters heard this one as much as I did. I would go on baking/cooking sprees and my Mom would always call out, "Don't forget to cayg (pronounced kag)! Are you cayging?"

Rake the leaves. Just rake the leaves.: This was a technique I was taught as a child whenever my room became too messy. What you do is put everything in a big pile on the bed and then organize and put away from there.

When in doubt, throw it out. This is my Mom's favorite de-junking mantra. I can't count the number of times I have heard it.

ON PERSONAL APPEARANCE:

Good things come in small packages. My sisters and I were told this our whole lives because our parents knew we were going to be short. It worked--I loved being short. It wasn't until just recently when I realized that to reach the second shelf in my kitchen cabinets I have to get a stool that I realized a few more inches would have been nice.

It takes pain to be beautiful. This piece of advice originated from my Mom's cousin and it has gotten me through many workouts and eyebrow shaping sessions.

It's what's inside that counts. This was an oft repeated phrase whenever we became too obsessed with our appearance (by we I am again referring to sisters and I).

Just make yourself as beautiful as you can, then walk out the door and forget about yourself and have a good time. And stand up straight. This philosophy originated from my Grandma Haley and was passed to me through my mother; I think it is very good advice.

A low ponytail is artsy. General hairstyling advice that also originated from my Grandma Haley.

ON INTERPERSONAL RELATIONS/CONFLICTS:

Be a duck. This is what we were told anytime we got upset by someone teasing us...because ducks let things just, "roll off their back."

Mud can't stick to marble. This advice was given during my teenage years when I got upset if I thought someone was gossiping about me. My mom told me that if I stayed clean and shiny like marble the mud wouldn't stick and it would become obvious what the truth was.

It's their problem. This advice applies whenever someone is being mean...you just tell yourself they are the one with the problem, not you, and be nice back to them.

ON LIFE IN GENERAL:

There is nothing worth worrying about. NOTHING. We were told this to remind us that worry doesn't solve anything and only saps your energy.

Happiness is a choice. This advice applied in many situations and really helped me think straight.

So, basically that is a brief summary of the words that still run through my head. From her example I learned that everyone deserves to be listened to and treated with kindness and respect, how to love my friends, and the magical, healing effects of a five minute power nap."I just need to close my eyes for five minutes, maybe 15, and then we can go."


Thanks for the wonderful childhood, Mom!


I love you! Happy Birthday!

7 comments:

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

Sweet post... Happy Birthday Joan!

Joan said...

Thanks so much Haley. It is so nice to know you were listening. (I'm smiling) (and they also get tired at night) I love you too.
p.s. I will have Grandma read this post too. She will love it.

Timani said...

That is such a great post. You have a great mom!!!! Happy Birthday Joan!

As I was reading those, I remembered, "I love myself! I love myself! I love myself!" and your mom calling out, "Haley Jo", you'd giggle.

Megan said...

That was so nice. I think my mom gave some similar advice! I love the one about it being painful to be beautiful! SO true!

Yasmine said...

I don't know your mom, but I love her anyway! GREAT advice and creative ways to remember it! What a wise woman.

Megan B ♥ said...

Wow, your mom sounds awesome. I hope Kinley remembers good advice from me. Sounds like I need to drum up some wise cliches. Maybe I'll just steal yours :)

Jennifer Bergam said...

Haley, I'm so glad that you wrote about your mom--I just love hearing stories about yours and Evan's parents--I don't hear enough stories.