Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I am SO glad you asked...


My friend Yasmine asked, "Wow, is the East Coast really as perfect as you make it sound?" And I am so glad she asked...because I have a lot to get off my chest. I try to be positive because who wants to listen to my complaints. But, in the interest of full disclosure...here are my top 10 complaints...


10. The TRAFFIC.


9. The dampness...nothing ever fully dries (e.g. towels that have been used once).


8. The BUGS...they are HUGE. The spiders are huge (HUGE), the grasshoppers are huge, the centipedes are huge.


7. The Department of Motor Vehicles...my birth certificate, social security card, passport and current UT driver's license are not enough to get me a NJ driver's license (I am still waiting to be able to get one).


6. The randomness of the roads...they are not on a grid or any sort of plan that I can understand...they seem to be triangular.


5. The way people talk...it is endearing but so LOUD...I feel like I have to yell and I don't like it.


4. The way people walk...it is so defensive...once you are talking them they seem to be the nicest people in the world but they walk around as if they're looking for a fight...what you got a problem with me?


3. The overpriced houses...a house can be 50 years old and have decrepit electric and plumbing systems and still be a million dollars (literally). Plus, all the basements are very stinky--even if they are newly refurbished.


2. The toll roads...you can be driving along and BAM you are on a toll road and you better have cash (or an EZ pass)...well, I guess, you usually do have some warning before you get on a toll road but it's still annoying...especially to get into NYC which is $8.00.


1. The TAXES...I can't believe there hasn't been some sort of revolution here...property taxes are outrageous (I think they're the highest in the country)...I have never seen anything like them.

7 comments:

Timani said...

I'm glad you complained. I've been thinking, maybe New Jersey wouldn't be such a bad place for Residency. With all your gushiness, it sounded glorious.

Now I'm all "hmmmm" and rethinking that one.

BTW, you probably can't get a driver's license, because you CAN'T PASS THE TEST! LOL!!! Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm too funny. ;)

Haley said...

Hahaha...it's my marriage license they want (I can't find it). :-)

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

The bit about toll roads sounds scary to me, I have a fear of getting stuck on a road that costs money and not having any cash... ever since I found out that roads like that exist... which was only a few months ago. It's probably a good thing there aren't very many around here...

Timani said...

Your marriage license? That's weird! I'd have no idea where to find mine either...I don't have it in our fire safe.

Why do you have to be married to live in NJ? :) Or did you never change your SS card name?

I'd ask if you can take tax return documentation or something else to see if that qualifies. CRAZY!

Megan said...

I like your list. Some of it reminds me of why I'm not too sad I don't live in California anymore. Like the trafic and outrageous house prices.

R.M. said...

I feel your pain! That was a great top 10...I could not have said it better myself!

Joan said...

I love this post!