Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Laundry

I love doing laundry every day,
I love doing laundry in every way.
I love finding laundry which has not been done,
Smashed in the dresser of my adorable son.
I love towels used, then dropped on the floor,
Damp and dirty for me to wash once more.
The very best mornings are when someone’s wet the bed,
The sweet stench of pee makes me want to kiss their head.
If you take off your socks, please shove them under the couch,
A great laundry surprise, lucky me, I’m no slouch!
When you clean your room, don’t put clothes away,
Throw them in the hamper, clean or dirty, it’s okay!
And if you get cold, please don’t wear a sweater,
Drag a blanket from the closet—or a sleeping bag…even better.
Whatever you’re doing, please don’t cut back,
I want laundry all the time, give me no slack!
Hey--it’s raining outside, go roll in the mud,
Of course it’s okay, go get dirty, bud!
--Haley Morales, 2009

11 comments:

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

I am glad you share my enthusiasm for laundry.

Sarah said...

I feel the same way...I mean what else do I have to do really? Also I like it if you wet your pants as often as possible even if your 4 and just like to hold it till you can't make it to the toilet! It really adds to my laundry fun!

Timani said...

Super cute poem but you are soooooooooo wacko! Laundry? Come on, it NEVER ends. Haley you need more children & more beds! But if by chance you want to live next door to me and take care of our heaps of laundry...you aren't wacko at all.

Haley said...

Timani,

Pure sarcasm. I didn't do laundry on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday and now feel like I am totally behind and will never catch up the rest of my life and just when I thought I was about to catch up (yesterday) it rained on all of the laundry I had hanging outside. And THEN I discovered a child had wet the bed so I had to add a mattress pad, blanket, sheets and pillowcases to the pile of laundry. And then my kids played volleyball in the mud and then they went to their basketball games so I had to add sweaty uniforms and muddy clothes to the mix and I wanted to cry. Instead I decided to write a poem about it. Don't worry--I'm not that wacko. I can't even imagine your laundry--mine feels like more than I can handle some days. :-) Haley

Christina Lyon Maughan said...

That is Shel Silverstein worthy! Very nicely done. Now you need an illustration to go along with it. Make sure to keep this poem, perhaps you could create a book of poetry for Mothers that is "tongue in cheek".

Joan said...

I love the poem. I always thought it was a mystery. The way it multiplies. But it's not. Their are culprits.

Jen said...

Oh...I've been looking for something to hang on my wall. This will be PERFECT!

Joan said...

Their? I meant there. Opps

Sean said...

Opps? I think you meant oops, but that's KO. :)

Megan said...

Good poem! That would be fun to have hanging in the laundry room! What a good way to avoid doing the laundry but to write a poem about it.

BrookieT said...

Oh, so perfectly expressed! I feel the truth of these words every day- it shall become my new mantra.