Earlier today Thomas, Olivia, and I were sitting in the driveway of our piano teacher waiting for Claire and Benjamin to finish their lessons. I was chatting away on my phone, completely oblivious to my surroundings. Thomas was hiding in the far back of the car (planning to jump out and scare Claire and Benjamin when they came out). Olivia quietly said "bear". I tuned her out. Thomas heard her, popped his head up to look and said, "Oh my gosh! It's a bear!" I jerked my head around and there was a large, black bear staring right at us. Right there on the piano teacher's lawn! I said, "Holy Crap!" and hung up on the person I was talking to.Thomas dove into the middle seats and started rolling up Olivia's window while I started rolling up the front windows, paused partway through to take a picture with my phone but my battery was too low, finished rolling up my window and called 9-1-1. The bear then lunged onto the hood of our car...just kidding. Actually, we stared at each other for awhile and then it turned and ran away. It was obviously reading my mind and saw the plan I was formulating for its demise--I was planning to gun the car, while honking the horn, and run over it repeatedly. It was the fact that I felt like my children were threatened that made the destruction of a giant bear seem necessary and probable (my bravery was also probably partly fueled by the fact that I was driving a Suburban). Although, there was another part of me that was fascinated with its beauty and sweet face (I think I thought this once it started running away)--and how nice the millennium will be when the lamb and the lion will lay together and we won't have to fear bears anymore.
Anyway, that is my story. It was exciting. The rush of adrenalin has kept me feeling very alive all day. Thomas and I can't stop talking about it. Neither can Olivia. She was shaken up! She told me, "I saw a bear, and Daddy wasn't there to 'tect me." So sweet. She was telling J.J. about it tonight and she said, "I saw a bear and 'den Thomas saved me. He closed my windows and 'den I was saved and 'den Mommy said 'omigosh'".
P.S. I didn't take the above picture. As I mentioned, my phone battery was too low. I found this one on the web.
11 comments:
OH...... MY.......... GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did 911 come? What Happened to the bear? What did the piano teacher say? I am sooo glad Livies big brother was there to tect her!
Sooo crazy! Olivia is the cutest little muffin, What a brave brother she has!
That is crazy! I am not the least bit surprised that Thomas would be so quick to react... he is so cute.
Oh crap is right! WOW! That is crazy. Glad the kids weren't outside playing while you waited.
By the way I totally bought into it getting on the hood...brat! ;) I even gasped aloud.
I so giggle about you driving over the bear repeatedly! Although we (mothers) do unusually brave things to protect our offspring.
AHHH! I love that! I am sure the bear didn't charge because of Thomas' magical animal powers!
Erin Wittwer
I would have said OH MY GOSH too! And I love how Olivia told the story! Funny how she was the first one to notice it. That's sad you couldn't get a real picture! Does the piano teacher usually have wild life come into her yard like that? You didn't even have to go camping or to the zoo to see a bear up close! You can think now how you saved yourself some $ and time!
You always have the best stories. I'm glad I can still enjoy your life even with you being on the other side of the Country.
Your blog has been full of animal stories lately. It must be that Thomas has hidden animal attraction powers; first a bird, now a bear.I am glad that it didn't hurt you or your kids. What a scare!
Where do you LIVE??? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. It seems to be a magical forest-like place where birds talk to little boys and bears can read minds...
Narnia. :-)
Yikes! Glad the bear decided you vehicle was no match. This was in NJ? Are we gonna have a fall get-together?
Post a Comment