Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What's the Haps: The Random Edition

Benjamin is the player on the right. He was playing third base. I loved this field.

Benjamin is the one throwing the ball--this picture is from the beginning of the season. He was a superstar. It was his first season (he never even played t-ball) and he did awesome--so fun to watch. It always amazes me, and I am not using the word 'amaze' lightly, to see my offspring displaying actual physical coordination.
I took the kids to George Washington's headquarters during the Revolutionary War (I can't figure out how to change this sentence so it doesn't sound like I am saying we went during the Revolutionary War). I can never decide if I love or hate museums. I think I do like them. I decided to think that I liked them after seeing the kitchen and the closets. It is fun imagine all of the fun the servants had in the kitchen (I used 'fun' twice--what is another word for fun?). I took pictures of the kids there, but they weren't wearing coordinating clothes so I'm only posting pictures of the rooms.




The other day we had a huge storm. It was the middle of the day, I was driving, and the rain was so thick I could see absolutely nothing in front of me. I was driving under five miles per hour and could not figure out how other people were passing me because it was impossible to see. I even had Claire call her piano teacher on my cell phone (we were headed to piano lessons) to tell her that we couldn't make it because I couldn't see the road. Then, on a whim, I decided to turn on the defrost and miraculously I could see again. It really was a huge storm though. It knocked down this tree in our backyard. See...
I loved this tree. It was so big and beautiful and shady. I will miss it.

I really will. See these lovely roots. They are taller than me. In other news, Olivia taught herself to hold carrots in between her toes for ease of snacking.

Also, I made this fruit bouquet of which I am inordinately proud (as evidenced by the fact that I am posting a picture of it) for Father's Day. I think I am going to be making one for every "JJ" holiday (his birthday and Father's Day) from now on because I like to have flowers for special occasions but JJ would think it strange if I bought him real flowers. So, I'll make this fruit bouquet again--he loved it and it lent the table a festive look.

Well, that is all for now. I know this is a very random post. This isn't all we've been up to lately but these are the happenings of which I have pictures. Tomorrow I'll post Claire's and Thomas' softball/baseball pictures. I can't figure out why they aren't on my computer--I thought I just uploaded them.

9 comments:

MelissaS said...

"...but they weren't wearing coordinating clothes so I'm only posting pictures of the rooms".
I enjoy you and your honesty.

Timani said...

I love the comment about Olivia's carrot convenience.

Fruit bouquet...YUM!

Museums? I can't decide either. Don't appeal to me AT ALL if I have to take little kids. But I do really like places like Nauvoo where every house is a museum. I like all the Revolutionary War stuff in Boston (or at least what I've been to).

Erin Wittwer said...

Haley! Finally I got on to your blog and love it! I am so sorry about your tree! I am pretty sure I know what day you were talking about when that huge rain storm hit! It was crazy and I don't know how people were driving in it!
Well, now I get to blog stalk you! Hope you don't mind.

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

I love the post... that fruit bouquet is lovely and makes me hungry just looking at it.

Megan said...

I don't care how random your post was. I'm glad you arrived back into the blogging world. I hope you join the facebook world soon too. I have enjoyed JJ's very political status updates though. Say Hi to my cousin for me!

Joan said...

I enjoyed this post. I like your use of light in the pictures and Livies use of toes for holding carrots.

Christina Lyon Maughan said...

What dexterity your family displays, carrots in the toes and all-stars on the field. You have great kids.

I am so impressed with the fruit bouquet. That takes talent and creativity.

Anonymous said...

Not to brag but I think she got her toe skills from me!

Megan B ♥ said...

You have inspired me on the fruit bouquet! Justin would just love that!